by Victor Villavicencio, Adjunct Faculty, Engineering Technology

I teach workforce (high school) dual credit and non-dual credit classes. My classes are over 90% male, while my high school classes are up to 80% male. My high school students were not “all in,” so I sought options to enrich my algebra-laden curriculum. I searched the ACC resources and was accepted to Global Gender and Women’s Studies. The Gender presentations and after-discussions provided ideas on how to enrich the Engineering class. 

My FLC Project is based on:

1. Integrating multifaceted technical characters using trailers such as Hidden Figures, Imitation Game, Whale Rider, The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind, and Landfill Harmonic, to tell stories of diversity that affect communities
  2. Use the PC-installed version (not cloud-based) of Google Maps – Historical Imagery Menu to view locations of international tech companies, climate change, reconstruction, or urbanization. 

The FLC reminded me to provide students with a well-rounded perspective about their potential careers. Finally, I hope there are opportunities next semester to visit cultural options such as Southeastern Asia Crescent at North Lamar and Airport.

For more information regarding my project, view my FLC Presentation.