by Lisa Moore, Professor, Professional Nursing

Being part of ACC’s FLC on Global Education has been a rewarding experience that has offered me opportunities to grow both professionally and personally. This journey has not only expanded my perspective on education and teaching but has also allowed me to connect with colleagues who share a passion for exploring the diverse and interconnected world we live in. As I reflect on my time in this community, I find myself filled with appreciation for the many benefits it has provided.

1. Broadening Perspectives

Gaining from listening to dynamic international speakers in the Global Education FLC has enabled me to broaden my horizons and gain new insights into how education can be approached from a global perspective. Through discussions and short collaborative interactions, I’ve deepened my understanding of how education is shaped by cultural, political, and social contexts worldwide. This expanded perspective has helped me to become a more effective and empathetic educator, better equipped to support students from diverse backgrounds.

2. Collaborative Learning

One of the most valuable aspects of being part of this community is the opportunity to collaborate with like-minded colleagues. Our shared goal of promoting global education has fostered an environment of open dialogue and mutual learning. I’ve learned so much from my peers, whether through exchanging teaching strategies, sharing resources, or discussing challenges and successes in the classroom. This collaborative spirit has not only enriched my own teaching practices but has also helped me to feel more connected to my colleagues in other ACC departments.

3. Building Interdisciplinary Connections

Global education is inherently interdisciplinary, encompassing subjects such as history, economics, geography, culture, and language. Being part of this learning community has allowed me to engage with educators from various disciplines, enriching my understanding of how these subjects intersect and influence each other and my field of Professional Nursing. This interdisciplinary approach has not only enhanced my teaching but has also encouraged me to think more creatively about how to integrate global perspectives into my curriculum.

4. Enhancing Student Learning

The insights and strategies I’ve gained from participating in the Faculty Learning Community will directly benefit my students. By incorporating global perspectives into my teaching, I’ve been able to provide my students with a more well-rounded and enriching educational experience. I desire that they will now be better equipped to understand and navigate the complexities of the modern world, and I take great pride in knowing that I have played a role in shaping their global awareness.

5. Personal and Professional Growth

Finally, being part of this faculty learning community has contributed to my personal and professional growth in numerous ways. It has inspired me to continue learning and exploring new ideas while also challenging me to reflect on my own teaching practices critically. The relationships I have built within the community have provided me with a new college-wide support network, and I am grateful for the friendships that have emerged.

In conclusion, taking part in the Faculty Learning Community on Global Education has been a transformative experience that has enriched my life in countless ways. I profoundly appreciate the opportunity to engage with dedicated colleagues, broaden my perspective, and enhance my teaching practices. As I continue this journey, I look forward to further growth, learning, and collaboration with my peers to pursue a more globally conscious educational experience for all and an improved opportunity to attain ACC’s new values and theory of change in support of our student population.