by Julz Decker, Associate Professor, Government

I have completed my second Faculty Learning Community with ACC TLED and this one was quite inspirational and timely.

The first FLC I completed fostered the addition of global perspectives to my curriculum. The second and most recent FLC I completed this year examined the changing legal, political, and reproductive status of women in the United States and across the world.

The information provided consists of monthly lectures curated by professors across the United States in various positions in academia. The lecture series discussed the experiences of women worldwide dictated by their gendered experiences and included discussions of women’s issues in different periods of time. Together this further elevated my ability to discuss issues of gender and gendered perspectives within different cultures and across various time periods with my students and colleagues.

I learned a great deal about the development of these gendered perspectives, the creation of social and cultural constructs around reproductive health in America, the current status of the Women’s equality movement in Iran, and so much more. This experience is an invaluable one offered by TLED and ACC. I like to call it “Professor College” where we get to learn again, and, with our colleagues. In addition to the amazing experience, you can earn up to 24 hours of professional development and grant compensation with the completion of requirements. If you can apply for these amazing programs and incorporate a new perspective into your courses I loudly cheer “Go for it!”