by Jaime Cantu, Professor, Assistant, Biology

I had the pleasure of being a part of the Global Peace and Conflict Studies Faculty Learning Community (FLC) this past year. This Faculty Learning Community had an immense impact on my teaching. The Global Peace and Conflict Studies FLC gave me a unique perspective on incorporating peace and conflict studies into my discipline. And in this regard, I’d love to share how it has enriched my teaching of my Anatomy and Physiology course.

Peace, as we perceive it in our FLC, goes beyond the mere absence of violent conflict. We understand it as a just and sustainable harmony, with equity permeating every sphere of society. The FLC has served as a crucible, helping us blend this profound perspective into our individual disciplines, making the teaching more inclusive and nuanced.

Given this, I undertook a fascinating journey to embed the teachings of our FLC into my Anatomy and Physiology class. The result? An intriguing project that bridged the worlds of health and peace studies, a project that got my students to compare and contrast disease management between the United States and a conflict-ridden country.

I was pleasantly surprised by their observations. The most striking finding was that, despite the ongoing turmoil, it was often cheaper to treat diseases in these countries compared to the USA. This revelation sparked thoughtful debates among my students, fostering critical thinking skills. They were compelled to re-evaluate their understanding of our healthcare system in light of the new information.

This project not only encouraged them to delve into Anatomy and Physiology but also challenged them to think about global conflict, peace, and their intersections with health and disease. A clear understanding of these connections is crucial as we live in an interconnected world where the repercussions of conflict can be felt far and wide.

Incorporating the learnings of the FLC into my classroom has been a gradual process, with each addition opening new avenues for thought-provoking discussions. However, it’s only the beginning. The project has shown me the immense potential of merging distinct disciplines to foster a comprehensive understanding.

My journey with the FLC has been truly enriching, empowering me to enhance the material I share with my students. By integrating peace and conflict studies into my Anatomy and Physiology course, I’ve fostered a sense of global citizenship among my students and invoked a more holistic understanding of health. This journey has only just begun, and I am going to tweak the projects as semesters go by to enhance the learning outcomes. I can’t wait to see what the future projects spark in students.