by LaKisha Barrett, Associate Professor, Biology

Belonging leads to success. When we see diverse representation throughout course materials, class examples, learning styles, forepersons, and role models- inspiration happens and blossoms into purpose, leading to belonging, retention, persistence, and success.

As a first-generation college student, a person of color, and a woman, I grew up with an incomplete picture of the science world and its history. My learner curiosity drove me to dig deeper, ask questions, and persist in a space that did not always feel welcoming. Many of my peers succumbed to a familiar and common fallacy: science and math are hard, which is why I can’t succeed. That misconception was grounded in some manner of truth when they looked about to find no one they could connect with, dream by, or model themselves after, leading to great minds leaving the field before they even tested the theory of their personal success and abilities. Inclusion is “the action or state of including or being included within a group or structure,” according to Oxford Languages. Through intentional action and consideration, we, as educators, can encourage others to dream big and believe in themselves and their potential.

Globalization of Biology courses is an intentional design to increase belonging, success, and persistence. Representation in textbooks, course materials, and history that includes all who contributed to our current scientific knowledge makes it easier for students to believe in their success and deepen learning. This intentional diversity and inclusion in our courses allow inspiration, purpose, and self-agency to blossom. I believe as educators, part of our role is to inspire by demonstration while making the knowledge tangible and relatable. We can help students develop true self-belief and change the narrative of what learning and success are and look like. Globalization of a course through diverse social, cultural, technology, and learning experiences nurtures relationships between the instructor, student, and subject matter. It opens perspectives to societies and practices of the world and activates our global citizenship.

A purposeful step in the Globalization of a Biology course is sharing the stories of diverse scientists. In my Cellular and Molecular Biology course (BIOL 1406), I will 1) Use a visual timeline of scientific discoveries that represents the diversity of the field and world events that spurred advancement, 2) Implement a weekly scientist spotlight chosen by myself and the students, 3) Challenge the students to reflect on how migration, whether personal/familial experiences or through a chosen scientist, affected the progression of science, 4) Combine this with service learning and showcasing their studies to give the students space to inspire others and connect to their purpose.

I am grateful for this Faculty Learning Community and the organizers. Over the past year, we have gained insight from diverse scholars who widened our perspectives of our global society while stirring our hearts to our calling of making a brighter tomorrow. This experience and the community I have gained left me wiser, informed my project design and class goals, and gave me a path to follow. I cannot fully express my gratitude for this humbling educational experience and for joining in and with my community as we try to be the change and love we want to see in the classroom and world.