Our #newtoACC series welcomes new faculty to our Austin Community College Riverbat family.

Amber Sarker
Amber with a weaving she recently completed

Meet Amber Sarker, ACC’s new Student Development faculty member!

What inspired you to apply to teach at Austin Community College?

I love Austin and wanted to work in the Austin community to help students reach their academic goals. Additionally, I studied Ascender while gathering data for my dissertation and wanted to work at a community college that supported this program.

Three words that best describe you?

Hardworking, humorous, empathetic.

Do you have a motto or mantra or personal philosophy?

Hard Work Pays Off. I use this philosophy in work, my health goals, and as a general reminder that good things happen when we put in the work.

If you could take any ACC class, what would you take?

I would take PSTR-1312 Laminated Dough, Pate a Choux, and Donuts. I love to bake and plan to earn my Pastry Certificate from ACC!

What would people never guess you do in your role?

DJ! When taking the onboarding with TLED I enjoyed listening to the music played before class and on breaks. I have had fun picking music out for my Learning Frameworks courses and have even honored some requests from students. This makes the online learning experience feel more like a community to me.

How do you create a classroom culture that intentionally welcomes and supports students from different racial/ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds?

I think it is imperative that students see themselves and their stories as part of the curriculum. This includes assignments, conversations, and experiences. As hooks (1994) stated, in order to create a culturally diverse academy, we must “commit ourselves to the work of transforming the academy so that it will be a place where cultural diversity informs every aspect of learning” (p. 33).

Welcome Amber to ACC!

Post a comment below or email Amber Sarker at amber.sarker@austincc.edu.