Our #newtoACC series welcomes new faculty to our Austin Community College Riverbat family.

Megan McgregorMeet Megan McGregor, ACC’s new History Professor!

What inspired you to apply to teach at Austin Community College?

I was inspired to apply to the school after learning about their focus on student success, commitment to academics, and willingness to engage in innovative and collaborative teaching techniques to help foster student-centered learning.

Currently teaching?

This semester I am currently teaching U.S. History 1 and U.S. History 2!  

As an instructor, how do you create a classroom culture that intentionally welcomes and supports students from different racial/ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds?

As a historian, I am able to create a classroom culture of diversity by including the voices of under-represented groups in my lectures. Students have so often only learned the basic narrative of American history, that they have trouble relating to the material. However, by including the complexities of American history for these groups – women, African Americans, Native Americans, laborers, LGBT community, immigrants, and others – students can both relate and see themselves reflected in the course material. This also promotes cultural diversity, and helps students to have empathy and understanding for others.

What is the best thing about your job?

Helping students succeed. It’s always an ego boost when students tell me they hated history before my class, but that I made it fun and interesting! But the most rewarding aspect of teaching for me is to see my students succeed, whether that is in the classroom or outside of academics.

Do you have a motto or mantra or personal philosophy?   

I try to live by two, actually. The first, and most important is: Treat people with kindness. The second: Explore, Dream, Discover

What kinds of hobbies and interests do you have outside of work?

My husband and I love to travel and explore new places (and we always find ourselves at the history or art museums!). We also love to hike! I am very excited to be close to fantastic state parks like Pedernales and Enchanted Rock. I also love music and movies, collecting Pop! Funko characters (my favorite is Velma from Scooby Doo), and of course spoiling my tabby cat named Quinn.

Three words that best describe you?

Dedicated, compassionate, adventurous

Welcome Megan McGregor to ACC!

Post a comment below or email Megan McGregor at megan.mcgregor@austincc.edu.