by Cheryl Thompson Price

I participated in the Computerside Chat on Fostering Motivation / Knowledge, Skills, Recall, & Understanding / Self-Awareness as Learners. I didn’t “chat-in” each time I had a comment because I didn’t want to hog up the queue; nonetheless, I’ve been encouraged to share: “The best part of these sessions is when passionate instructors share how they help our students…and the best way to learn to innovate as educators is when we hear the innovations of other faculty.”

During the Fostering Motivation discussion, the physical condition of students (sleeping in class, lacking focus, etc.) was raised. My approach: I begin with the understanding that most of our students are working…some have multiple jobs; many are parenting or care-taking; a lot are experiencing poverty; and others are juggling more than one “high” priority. Thus, I conduct myself as an ACC representative remembering that “COMMUNITY” is the longest part of our name. Meaning, I recognize them as humans, first – then, as students who may need an extension of compassion to persist, persevere, and to ultimately achieve academic success.

Self-Awareness as Learners & Learner Autonomy: One technique that has worked well for me has been allowing students to choose the medium to present their final project/assignment. They’ve presented PowerPoints and videos, they’ve written poems and short stories, and even illustrated cartoons. I’ve used a posted rubric to evaluate their presentation; therefore, everyone understood the point system beforehand. I find students are empowered knowing their largest assignment would be “on their turf” and I believe this advantage encourages their commitment throughout the semester.

Encouraging Student Attendance and Participation: At the beginning of the semester, I reinforce the classroom as a “learning laboratory.” I emphasize their participation and highlight that we ALL – me included – will be learning in “this laboratory” …and that learning occurs through the “experiment” of our unique interaction (like mixing chemicals in a science lab). Students quickly discover that their participation is risk-free and necessary to “drive” the lesson.

Like other faculty, I often use student questions and/or their experiences to reinforce the learning objective or to segue into a related objective. But, I especially like to use “less-than-correct” answers in this manner – that way the students realize their incorrect answers have value and contribute to the lesson, as well. I thank them for their contribution…they become less concerned about their comments being “correct” and more willing to participate in class discussions.

I don’t criticize students…I encourage them to think about their options – including seeking support and using available resources (or not) – then we’ll engage in a discussion to determine if their “choice” was the best choice…not necessarily the “right” choice…but the best choice. It’s their call (either way). I tell them they’re the CEO of their own academic progress and I’m like their Advisory Board of Directors (I’m here to provide information and lend support). They usually smile at the CEO reference.