by Robert C. Fyrst

Engaging students in the learning process is often challenging. Each of us, as instructors, present information in a certain manner that we hope allows for students to “learn” the material. However, more often than not, testing for that knowledge involves memorization and regurgitation of what we or the book had to say, instead of what the student has learned. Because of my background in politics, this was concerning for me in my government classrooms.

I left government voluntarily because I was tired of political decisions instead of good government decisions. I imagine that when the Texas legislature decided to require the teaching of United States and Texas (state and local) governments, legislators were feeling the same frustration I felt in government. I believe the Texas legislators wanted to ensure that Texas citizens understood that this is their government and to empower them to be active change agents.

A couple of years ago, I began working with staff in the Instructional Design department here at ACC. My goal was to identify strengths and weaknesses in my instruction and to increase student ability to actualize change. I incorporated more than one opportunity for students to present change via written and oral assessments. In addition, I adapted my tests to present students with real-life scenarios where they must gather information, disseminate that information and make a decision.

To prepare students for written and oral presentations, I often relate real-life situations that either I personally experienced in government or situations that challenge students today. For example: in United States government, we look at the death penalty being assigned to a 15-year old serial killer who was tried as an adult. In Texas government, we consider a natural disaster such as a fire or flood. Texans can relate to both. Citizen involvement in government is essential for a representative democracy. Every governmental change occurs because one person had an idea. Student papers and presentations are not designed to demonstrate to me that they memorized information. Student papers and presentation are designed to demonstrate to the student that they can effect change in the world.

To prepare students for exam questions, I give them an opportunity during each unit to realize the challenges of the choices at hand and the consequences of living with those choices. This is accomplished by in class activities with some type of reward for either all or some students in the end. Students are given instructions for each interactive assignment but after that, as the instructor, I retreat to the role of observer. Consistently, students engage actively…even the students who typically sit quietly during lectures. Each exam has a similar scenario; however, now the student must use their own knowledge (instead of collective knowledge) to work through the scenario.

The bottom line is that each of us as instructors should always question whether or not we are making a difference in the learning that is achieved by students long after these citizens of the world have left our care.