Mediasite is a platform for lecture capture, letting you record videos of yourself along with your presentation, and then easily distribute it out to whoever needs to see it. You can record classes, short presentations, or even training for staff on it easily. Mediasite is also an integrated tool within Blackboard, making it easy to share videos with your class securely within your Blackboard course. Below is a video tutorial as well as step-by-step instructions with screenshots.
- Log into your Blackboard account, and select the course you’d like to use with Mediasite.
- In the Course Management sidebar on the left find Customization, then click Tool Availability. (Highlighted below)(Customization Menu Highlighted in Red)(Tool Availability in the Customization Drop-Down)
- In the Tool Availability Screen has a lot of helpful add-ons for your courses, but this document only covers the Mediasite tools, so scroll down to the M’s and find the Mediasite check.
- If you need any help with this step there is a picture below that shows the Mediasite options highlighted and checked as they should be for setup. Once you’ve found the Mediasite tools you will need to check: Mediasite (Available in course), Link to Catalog (Available in the content area), Link to Presentations (Available in the content area), and Mediasite Presentation(s) (Available in the content area).
- Click the submit button at the bottom of the page or Blackboard will not save your changes.
- This step is only necessary if this is the first course you are activating Mediasite in, but it is one of the most important because it’s used to make your account. If you’ve used Mediasite before feel free to skip ahead to the next knowledge base article (Downloading and Setting Up Mediasite Desktop Recorder). Go back to the main page of your course. If you go into the Course Tools dropdown you should now see an option for MyMediasite.(The Course Tools drop-down highlighted in Red, with MyMediasite highlighted in yellow)
- You may get a screen that says “ATTENTION! The LTI launch will open a new tool. If you do, you just need to click the Launch Button.(“LTI Launch Link” Page)
- It may take a few seconds to finish making your account, but you should get to your MyMediasite page. This is where you can create and upload Mediasite presentations, as well as editing the presentations you do have. **It’s important to note here that you need to log into blackboard anytime you want to access Mediasite, and you need to stay logged in to Blackboard even if you open MyMediasite in a new window**
Once you go to MyMediasite in Course Tools you will see a screen like the one above. This is the main screen from Mediasite. From here you can download the Desktop Recorder, and create Presentations. Desktop Recorder is needed to create a presentation. There is another tutorial called “Recording with Mediasite Desktop Recorder” that walks you through the download process.