Item statistics provide detailed usage information about your content, such as how many times students viewed an item and when it was accessed. You can enable statistics tracking at any time, and begin collecting data from that moment on. If students access an item before you enable statistics tracking, their access isn’t recorded.
Statistics tracking is a type of course report for individual content items. To obtain course reports on overall user activity as well as activity in content areas, forums, and groups, go to Control Panel > Evaluation > Course Reports.
Enable Statistics Tracking
- Go to the item you want to track (e.g., a quiz), click the action button (to the right of the item’s title), and select Statistics Tracking (On/Off).
- Select On, then click Submit.
- “Enabled: Statistics Tracking” appears after the item name.
Viewing Statistics Tracking Reports
After enabling statistics tracking for an item, follow these steps to view the report:
- Go to the item for which you would like to view the Statistics Tracking Report, click the action button (to the right of the item’s title), then select View Statistics Report.
- To the right of the Content Usage Statistics title, click the action button, then select Run.
- In the Report Specifications section, select a format for the report (e.g. PDF, HTML, Excel or Word).
- Select a Start Date and an End Date for the report.
- The report pulls data for all students by default. Use the Select Users list only if you want to narrow the report to specific student(s). To select multiple students, hold down the CTRL (PC) or Command (Mac) key as you click on multiple names.
- Click Submit.
- The report opens in your chosen format in a new window. You can also choose to download and/or run a new report.
This article was created and is maintained by the Office of Academic Technology.
If you have found an error in this article , or if you need assistance incorporating this article into your course, please contact the Faculty Instructional Support Specialists.